Another translator offer

Help make SolydX and SolydK support your language.
eselma

Another translator offer

Postby eselma » 05 Apr 2013 09:30

When due time arrives, I hope to help with Catalan translations. Presume it is only needed for few applications.
BTW: Do you intend to use an specific tool? I am thinking in Launchpad. It is really useful for translation projects, as I could realize with antiX translations. Saves a lot of time and performs some quality checking.

On the other hand, there are typical PO tools, maybe QT Linguist, or even plain text editors (Kate, Geany...), but they need more time.

Please post me if you need such help.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Another translator offer

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Apr 2013 11:40

Tbh: I don't have any experience in localizing (linux based) software.
I don't have enough time to do so, and that won't change for quite some time, I'm afraid.
If you feel like finding out and getting started, I could use a project leader for this.

My whish is to localize DDM first.
You can find it in GitHub: https://github.com/Schoelje/device-driver-manager
If you do want to bare the burden, just let me know what you need from me (I can easily create the po files).

A good start would be a tutorial to make a translation for a specific package, so people all over the world can get started immediately. Also something for you?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

eselma

Postby eselma » 10 Apr 2013 19:39

Sorry for being late answering you; I was in a trip.

From my side, my only ability to do translations in Linux is editing the .po files, so you can compile the .mo. Looking at the code of DDM, it seems a Python source file, and my last programming skills was with TurboPascal 6.0 and some K&R C languages. Not much help for this. :-(

As my DE is KDE, I could use QTLinguist for translations, but there is an easier way: start a project in Launchpad. It is easy and does not mean affiliate with Ubuntu in any way. My last translations were with antiX; you can see a sample there:

https://translations.launchpad.net/antixers

This way, one can track the state of the translations, upload & download the files, and work in a collaborative way (saves a lot of time compared with the locally edited files). The quality is as good as you want: no "machine translated strings".

This is only an idea; but if you wish do a test with a .po file, I'll try to do my best at it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Apr 2013 20:16

When I have the time to prepare this, I'll come back to you.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Translations”