What's a really good dvb-t program to install ?

Questions about software.
mazzinia

What's a really good dvb-t program to install ?

Postby mazzinia » 09 Mar 2018 13:15

As in the title,

while testing on virtual machines, I've tried a couple that were clearly marked as doing this, but they didn't work well ( search , channel ordering ), interface was meh, and streams kept having artifacts every n minutes.

Anyone knows a good program ?
I was using Avermedia AverTV on the laptop under xp , and it worked like a champ with 0 issues. Surely there must be something similar as quality, for linux ?

ilu

Re: What's a really good dvb-t program to install ?

Postby ilu » 09 Mar 2018 14:43

I'm not completely sure but isn't the dvb-t format region-specific? Meaning that different countries have different encoding? And something with numbers? dvb-t1, dvb-t2?

Did you have a look at this site: https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TV_Related_Software ?

mazzinia

Postby mazzinia » 09 Mar 2018 17:31

Yes, I did have a look at that actually, but somehow I don't like the ones proposed there... ( and it's from 2016, that partial list )
I've tried Me TV, and honestly is junk.. no channel ordering/numbering , channels split in groups of 10 you navigate page by page, very bad output/decoding quality - artifacts , erratic rescan/scan

And yes, dvb-t has two standards , dvb-t1 , that's being phased out in certain countries , and dvb-t2 ( the newer version of the latter ).
dvb-t2 decodes also dvb-t1

mazzinia

Postby mazzinia » 14 Mar 2018 10:56

Answering to myself.

1) somehow the scan utility and the conf files to scan the channels are mismatching
2) w_scan is unable to generate correct conf files, nor to generate correct channel lists ( just very partial and with weird scan settings )
3) rewriting by hand the "old" frequency conf file ( for Italy ) according to the new formatting ( obtained by w_scan ), then running scan, does the job.

4) vlc is the best tv application of the lot that i've spotted in the distribution (and all of them don't support numbering assignments)
4.5) antenna dvb uses xine for the video, and locks the tuner so changing channel or having the dongle power down is a no go unless reinserting in the usb port.

Return to “Software”