Can not boot

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
xendistar

Can not boot

Postby xendistar » 29 Mar 2018 22:23

I am running the latest SoldyXK EE and have been for the past few weeks, because of that I am posting this in the Testing Zone although this may not be a EE related issue.

I have three harddisks in my PC SDA1 (distro disk currently has Kali installed), SDA2 (distro disk currently has solydX EE installed) and SDA3 (data disk not used to boot from.

SDA1 = EFI fat32 (marked as boot & esp by gparted)
SDA2 = / ext4
SDA3 = swap
SDA4 = home ext4

SDB1 = soldyX home ext4
SDB2= swap
SDB3 = / ext4 (marked as boot & esp by gparted)

If I boot up now Kali is the default boot screen I get (I installed it earlier today) which I can boot into with out an issue. If I select the SolydXK EE entry, I get the splash screen and then after a long pause it will turn to text mode and tell me I am on an emergency login and asks me for my root password to continue, but that only takes me to cli login with option to view log file or reboot etc.

Now I am guessing that grub is screwed up somewhere but I have no idea how to resolve the issue. I am quite happy to loose the contents of SDA hardisk but would prefer to keep the the SDB hard disk intact.

I am currently booting from a live Xubuntu disk because I am unable to boot from the SoldyX EE disk, it gets part way through the boot up and then say (if you press the esc key and look at the text mode behind the graphic splash screen) it says something like a start job has started with no time limit and then it just justs at this point counting up the time, I have left it for 15 minutes and nothing happened, the only option is Ctrl-Alt-Del. I did manage to get past that point when I installed SolydXK a few weeks ago but I have not been able to do so tonight.

Can anybody advise me on what I need to do please?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Can not boot

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Mar 2018 06:06

Moved your topic to Installation.

I don't know why exactly there's a boot job waiting but I suspect that the UUID of one of the partitions has changed and there is a reference in fstab to a non-existing UUID.

Start a live session.
Open two terminals.
In the first terminal mount the EE's root partition:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /mnt/sdb3; sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3
and open fstab for editing:

sudo nano /mnt/sdb3/etc/fstab
In the other terminal run:

sudo blkid
Now check that fstab has the correct UUIDs as listed in the second terminal. Make the changes if necessary and close nano with Ctrl-X, y, Enter. If all went well, you can now boot EE.

If there were no UUID changes necessary, you will need to examen /mnt/sdb3/var/log/syslog for errors.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 30 Mar 2018 20:11

Hi

For whatever reason the UUID for the SoldyX swap partition were different. Set the entry in the fstab to what sudo blkid reported and it is now booting ok again. Thanks for the help Schoeije

Live boot issue has now been moved to viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5681&p=67974#p67974

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 31 Mar 2018 07:09

Glad I could help.

Could you please move the last remark concerning the solydxee_10_64_201803.iso to the appropriate topic: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5681
Also, please verify your downloaded ISO with the provided sha256 file:

sha256sum -c solydxee_10_64_201803.iso.sha256

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Installation”