OK not to reformat /home during install?

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
cmf5

OK not to reformat /home during install?

Postby cmf5 » 25 Jul 2017 15:54

I currently run SolydK-8 with separate root, /home and /Data partitions. (The /Data partitions are soft linked to my home directory.) Would there be any problems if I do a clean install of SolydK-9 on my root directory without reformatting my /home directory? I have some third party and proprietary software installed in my system, and I think the license information is stored in my /home directory. It would be nice to preserve this information and many of my settings if possible.

srq2625

Re: OK not to reformat /home during install?

Postby srq2625 » 25 Jul 2017 18:37

I frequently don't format the /home. Since I really, really like to use the same user name, I will
  • Backup my ~/ folder
  • Rename all the user folders so they are not over-written
  • Do your install using the names you like
  • Restore your user data from either the backups or from the re-named folders
Just Scott

Remember that life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!
-- Vicki Corona (Tahitian Choreographies, 1989)

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 26 Jul 2017 00:56

it should be OK if you leave the home partition. just make sure that on the installation you mount it as /home.

cmf5

Postby cmf5 » 26 Jul 2017 19:44

Thanks for the replies. Online it seems that Linux users are split on reformatting /home. In summary, it seems like reformatting /home is a good idea when switching distros, but it should not present much of a problem to leave it unformatted (saving all your config files) if you are upgrading the same distro.

Of course, new versions of some programs may have problems with older configuration files. I'm hoping that will not be the case. If it is, I think I could delete that program's configuration files/directory, and they should be recreated with a fresh version I could modify next time I run the program.

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 Jul 2017 21:53

cmf5 wrote:Of course, new versions of some programs may have problems with older configuration files. I'm hoping that will not be the case. If it is, I think I could delete that program's configuration files/directory, and they should be recreated with a fresh version I could modify next time I run the program.
KDE has a major new version, which would affect most parts of the system. But several people here have upgraded without issues. Others have reported problems. So you won't know without trying :-)

Just don't forget to backup all important stuff first!

Return to “Installation”