Upgrading from 8 to 9 today may 2018 [Solved]

Questions about SolydX and SolydK installation.
mox

Upgrading from 8 to 9 today may 2018 [Solved]

Postby mox » 04 May 2018 20:43

Hi all,
ok, maybe I have to switch to 9 now before time runs out and I lost my updating repos.
The link for the script I can find in the forum is not working (http://downloads.solydxk.com/dev/stretc ... 8-9.tar.gz) cause the file is not available on these days, so question is: is because of the problem of these days in migrating servers, or it is not "safe" anymore to do with this script and I have to follow another procedure than https://solydxk.com/solydxk-9-released/ or it is related to some "unsafe" procedure to upgrade the 8 to 9 without doing a fresh instal and it is considered obsolete and dangerous to not do a format and instal?
Thanks

ilu

Re: Upgrading from 8 to 9 today may 2018

Postby ilu » 05 May 2018 21:49

I don't think the script will work anymore at this point in time - too many changes. I would not try to update. The safe thing to do is a parallel install. Copy over everything you want to keep afterwards. You'll need free space of about 20 Gb for this if you keep your data on a separate partition (which is better anyway).

mox

Postby mox » 06 May 2018 18:21

Thanks, I really appreciate your response.
Surely it was the first thing I think to do a clear install, but.... for next releases, to make Solyd better (or the best release?), I can suggest:
1) there should be something related about upgrading of version.... The rolling "idea" is a non sense without an upgrading escape. It should be thought before, like Debian do
2) upgrading without maintaining the the packets kept and files and configuration as the first choice is valid (from the page of upgrading) only if there is a valid way to follow to return at the same point. I say that is the best choice to do a new install because from one release to another many useless files may be kept in the system, so a bit of cleaning is ever a good thing. But a distro that contain a series of helps to new users (like many drivers and othe) as Solyd is a bit conflicting to a new parallel preconfigurations that in Debian are not presents) to have a working "normal" system is not addressed to used people that know how-to make free roam, copy the majority of applications, copy the configurations etc.
3) I know that in those years there where notable changes, and the big last of them can be that Solyd now is not addressed to inexperienced users, but I think that now I can not understand why people should prefer Solyd from another distro if there is not a direct indication of it it's scope.

Yeah, I have no time to contribute to this community, and my thought are not intended to be of relevance.
Cheers

ilu

Postby ilu » 06 May 2018 19:40

1. Solydxk does not follow a "rolling" concept - not anymore for several years now. Neither does debian. I'm not sure what you are referring here: if there is a safe way to upgrade from jessie to stretch in debian it will work with Solydxk too. Sorting out an upgrade of the the SolydXK packages is not the problem, organizing the Debian update from jessie to stretch is, especially if you are on SolydK (due to the many complex changes in KDE). Solydxk in essence is debian. Whatever works in debian will work in SolydXK.

2. I just said that the our upgrade script is not maintained anymore today due to lack of demand. Best course of action for the unexperienced user is to upgrade as soon as the upgrade script is sufficiently tested and while it is maintained. That was some time in summer last year. We can't keep testing and maintaining it for years just in case somebody missed it and comes around later.

3. The scope of Solydxk has not changed.

mox

Postby mox » 07 May 2018 12:50

First of all thanks for the reply, and to consider my valuless 2 cents.

Your answer to my first topic is really correct so no more questions.

I'm agreed that the script can be abandoned due lack of demand, but in my readings in the forum I have not find when there where a time to do a "relatively" safe upgrade and when to stop it. Maybe I have jumped over it.

Now my last observation was that Debian is know to be not a friendly enemy. In this practice of "over writing" the precedent installation or to make one aside, the simplicity that has made Solyd a best friend is delegated only to first installation and is life.

Cheers

Return to “Installation”